Supplier Directory

Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association – Ludington, MI

Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association – Ludington, MI
Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association – Ludington, MI

Visit the pinnacles of a bygone era: the gorgeous lighthouses of Lake Michigan.
Ludington, MI
The Sable Points Lighthouse Keepers Association (SPLKA) began in 1987 and grew to operate agreements with Michigan’s Department of Natural Recourses, Ludington and Fruitland to manage, restore and maintain four of Michigan’s beautiful and historical lighthouses. The SPLKA has two missions: to preserve, promote and educate the public and to make their lighthouses accessible to all.
Bus tour groups are sure to love a visit to the following:
Big Sable Point Lighthouse
Built in 1867, the Big Sable Point is one of the oldest lighthouses on Lake Michigan. With five-feet thick walls and a distinctive white and black daymark, Big Sable was operated and manned by the U.S. Life-Saving Service and then by the U.S. Coast Guard until 1970. In 1970, the Coast Guard abandoned the station, and the lighthouse keeper’s quarters fell into disrepair. Under SPLKA, Big Sable is restored, preserved and open to the public.
Little Sable Point Lighthouse
Taking residence on the eastern side of Lake Michigan, halfway between the Michigan-Indiana border and the Straits of Mackinac, Little Sable Point Lighthouse welcomes more than 30,000 visitors each season. Visitors are welcome to venture up to the catwalk for a spectacular view of the Silver Lake Sand Dunes.
Ludington North Breakwater Lighthouse
The Ludington North Breakwater Lighthouse was built in 1924 with a four-sided pyramidal tower and four round porthole windows on each of its three decks. Originally, Ludington North Breakwater housed one of the first a Fresnel lenses manufactured in the United States. In 1994, renovations and reconfigurations of the concrete caused the striking white tower to settle at a slant of four degrees. The lighthouse, however, remained stable, so the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers decided against straightening Ludington North Breakwater.
White River Light Station
Starting in 1875, the White River Light Station helped sailors navigate between White Lake and Lake Michigan. The original lighthouse keeper, Captain William Robinson, was so enamored with White River Light Station that he vowed never to leave. Though he died at the age of 86, the six keepers who came after Robinson claim he was ever-present. The White River Light station also housed Francis Johnson, the last female Great Lakes lighthouse keeper. Surrounded by beautifully landscaped grounds, White River Light Station now serves visitors as a small Great Lakes maritime museum.
Business Website Address: http://www.splka.org
Business Phone Number: (231) 845-7417
Business E-mail: splkadirector@gmail.com
 

http://www.splka.org
(231) 845-7417
  • Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association – Ludington, MI
  • Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association – Ludington, MI
  • Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association – Ludington, MI
  • Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association – Ludington, MI
  • Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association – Ludington, MI
  • Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association – Ludington, MI
  • Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association – Ludington, MI
  • Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association – Ludington, MI
  • Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association – Ludington, MI
  • Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association – Ludington, MI

Send Message to listing owner

Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association – Ludington, MI

Contact Information

Bus Tours Magazine
9698 W. Judson Road
Polo, IL 61064
Phone: (815) 946-2341
Fax: (815) 946-2347